Head of Social Media – Leading Digital Creative Agency – Global Group
Head of Social Media (specialist division within the creative digital agency. Part of an integrated creative and media agency group)
Department function: Account Management / Content (creative)
Location : London
Reports to: MD Creative Digital Agency
Direct reports in: Social Account Directors / Content Directors (dotted line Social Planners)
Role Purpose : To run Social team as a profitable commercial operation, delivering category leading social activation. Bringing together and motivating multidiscipline specialist social teams through innovative social processes, education, and new commercial models which respond to and take advantage of emerging social opportunities.
Overview: The Head of Social Activation role is two pronged. Firstly, the role involves leading client business delivered under the [social division] brand name as well as owning the overall commercial (and brand) performance .
Secondly, the role involves contributing to category leading social activation for clients across the Creative Agency business.
• Category leading social knowledge. Establish self as a leader of social thinking (strategic and tactical, creative and commercial). Develop thought leadership commentary for internal and external education and PR.
• Commercial excellence. Ultimately accountable for delivering the income and target margins for the agency.
• Social entrepreneurship. Seek out and convert incremental social income opportunities. Ensuring that the agency sells in more of its services and products to genuinely help clients. Develop and secure organic growth / cross sell plans. Win pitches and grow new accounts. Design new commercial models and process that respond to emerging opportunities from social media.
• Client business leader. Drive the agenda. Develop a strong commercial understanding of the client’s business. Build irreplaceable ‘trusted advisor’ relationships with key decision makers and critical contacts. Specifically, qualify social opportunities on a client by client basis and assess client readiness for emerging social opportunities. Ensure client satisfaction.
• Motivate, develop and support the whole team on their business. Develop the wider teams’ business mindset. Constantly and regularly inspire, challenge, give guidance, sustain and reassure. Manage careers. Own the tough decisions.
• Drive the strategy. Work in partnership with the social planners to define highly effective strategies to transform clients business.
• Create the conditions for great work. Influence at the right time to turn good into great. Be visionary, can see how social ideas work against broader client commercial context, agency’s objectives and ambition. Own the quality of the work. Identify need for (and secure) new roles, resource and processes as the social landscape evolves.
• Experienced in running teams of people delivering social media activation (including Content Planning, Community Management and Influencer Engagement)
• Experienced in motivating and leading a large team
• Experienced in understanding brands and business
Essential Skills and Behaviours
• Leadership and presence
• Commercial acumen
• Entrepreneurial spirit
• Creative flair
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to facilitate and educate